Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Weather patterns and ground tackle

Date: Dec 24, 2019
Comments: 

PV in Sarasota - Pic by Steve Romeis
I’ve been watching and studying these (northerly) fronts that have blown in, since Apalachicola.  One thing for certain is when they blow in they are blistering.  I was amazed to see 30 knots in Cortez, but it seems that is not uncommon.  Generally the temperature doesn’t drop much as I’ve only seen about 60 as a low.  I’ve learned that when the gettin’ is good, you better get (moving) and when they blow in you better sit tight in a good spot with good holding.  After they blow through they tend to rotate clockwise, over a period of days.  The hope is they stay SE to E for a few days and settle for a little while.  On Monday (12/23) it blew in from the NW around 1415 and ripped all night into Tuesday morning.  There were lulls then it returned with a vengeance.  Don and Steve text me around 1700 (Monday) informing me they were going to dinghy to shore, with an invitation to dinner.  I declined in favor of leftover venison chili I had already started warming, plus my dinghy was tightly secured on the davits.  I never saw them return though I’m sure they did.  I wondered how bad the return trip to their boat was. 

After doing chores Monday, as Mom can attest, I checked a few things including the anchor, rode and
PV's ground tackle
swivel.  I noticed the swivel to be slightly bent where it connects to the anchor.  I assume this was caused by side loading when the wind clocked around viciously, at Cortez.  In examining the swivel I had an uneasy feeling about my ground tackle for the first time.  The ground tackle is so important.  Giving way during one of the strong fronts could be disastrous to the boat, other boats and even life threatening.  I have an oversize all chain rode (3/8 inch), a larger then recommended Mantus anchor (45 lbs.), and what I thought was a pretty good oversize (1/2 inch) swivel between the two.  When I saw the slight bend it really scared me.  After thinking about it for a while I decided I would purchase a Mantus swivel which is said to be the best available and prevents damage from side loading.  I called Phillip with Mantus, in Kemah, who told me he would be open until noon Christmas Eve.  Ruth made a trip to Kemah Christmas Eve morning. 

I’m starting to make more detailed plans for heading to the keys.  My insurance rider for the Bahamas kicks in on January 1, so we can get on our way pretty soon.  We’re currently anchored near statute mile 75 so it looks like a 2 day trip to Fort Myers (St. mile 0).  From there it’s offshore, hugging the coast for about 100 nautical miles to East Cape, the southernmost tip of the Florida peninsula.  Because we will be anchoring offshore this is where the weather is the most critical; thus, we will be looking for a light easterly wind.  We choose to anchor near shore instead of sailing overnight, as the crab/lobster pots (I’m told) are everywhere.  I was astounded how many Bryce and I saw as far as 40 miles offshore west of the Clearwater Channel.  I wouldn’t want Ruth to have to go overboard to cut one off the prop or shaft.  From there I plan to head SE along Yacht Channel to Long Key, approximately 25 nautical miles.  We will dissect the Keys under the Channel Five Bridge to an anchorage south of the keys, perhaps Rodriquez Key. From that anchorage we will wait for another window to jump across the gulf stream to the Bahamas. 

So if the weather cooperates this could be about a 5 day journey to the Keys.  It could be done faster but I’m trying to ”slow down and smell the roses,” a little and be safe. 

These plans are tentative and subject to change based on weather, conditions of the boat, comfort and whatever Ruth says we will do.  I’m looking forward to her arrival but I guess as admiral she outranks the Captain.  Maybe not…. Maybe so.  

4 comments:

  1. Hey Greg! I am loving the blog. That sounds like y'all are having a blast! I have only crossed at the 7 mile bridge by Marathon/boot key. There were many many crab pots, but we caught none. It is an easy sail with predominant easterlies, thus low wave action, but miles of shallows with fairly narrow channels that you might want to do in the daylight. Have fun! (PS If you find yourself in the keys for a long period, there is an amazing snorkel about 1000m off loggerhead key in the Tortugas - the wreck of the Avanti (no I did not cause it)). This trip or next, it is a must. Jeff Avant

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: If you go inside, there is a great anchorage by Cabbage Key. and a great cook. Worth the stop. He ain't just cheeseburgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jeff. Always great hearing from you. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
  3. I am liking your attitude about how it's going to be when I hop aboard-except that part about cutting fouled lines.

    ReplyDelete