Monday, September 28, 2015

Pura Vida

Making the journey down the ICW near Lafitte, LA, on the maiden voyage to Port Arthur, TX.
Pura Vida is a 36 foot, center cockpit, Beneteau sailing vessel.  I purchased her on August 29, 2012, in New Orleans, the day before Hurricane Isaac blew into the city.  I know.... not too smart to purchase a sailboat when a hurricane is blowing in.  However, I waited as long as possible before signing final papers.   I was in jeopardy of losing my down payment, if I didn't sign on that date. However, I had already secured insurance for $10,000 more than the purchase price.  So, I chanced losing my $7500 down payment, gaining $10K if lost to Isaac or gaining a very nice boat if no damage was done. What would you do?
 Fortunately, Pura Vida survived Isaac with no damage.

Pura Vida remained in New Orleans until September 22, 2012, when we began the journey of bringing her home to Port Arthur, TX at the Pleasure Island Marina.  During our time in New Orleans, Ruth and I traveled there each weekend to prepare her for the trip.  John and Chuck, long time PAYC members, graciously crewed her home.  Ruth and I did travel 3 of the 6 days of the journey but had to cut it short to return home to work.  Also while in New Orleans, we met some of our best friends, Kelvin and Ginny. They are from the Lafayette area and were keeping their sailboat at the same marina in New Orleans.  After a couple of weeks, they showed interest in moving their boat to Port Arthur and low and behold, they actually did.  We gained some great friends.

Ruth and I stay at the marina aboard Pura Vida just about every weekend.

Hopefully, before too much longer, we'll be able to live the dream that so many of us have.


No comments:

Post a Comment