Friday, December 20, 2019

Guest Blogger Bryce


Some of my favorite memories as a kid are of my dad and me going fishing together. Blake was
Sarasota, Florida
always invited to go but he didn’t always (or ever) want to get up early in the morning. Of course I would always want the little brother with us but it was also nice to get some alone time with Dad every once in a while. This seven day trip from Apalachicola to Sarasota, Florida reminded me of those times. Unfortunately, my portion of the cruise with the old man is coming to an end today. It was a trip that I will not forget for the rest of my life.  When I asked my Dad a year or so ago if he could use a hand on his journey to the Bahamas he enthusiastically said yes. I figured that he would say that because he always does. However, I honestly was a little bit surprised that he didn’t even have to think twice about it. To be one half of a two man crew crossing waters we have not seen before is quite the responsibility. Especially when you consider the fact that Pura Vida is going to be Dad and Ruth’s floating home for the next several months. Lucky for me he is a great teacher. I learned quite a bit such as knots, sailing terminology, and how to read the electronic charts and radar.


As everyone reading this certainly already knows, the gulf coast of Florida is absolutely beautiful. Wecut across part the Gulf of Mexico, cruised through several bays, and rode the ICW. I thought it was pretty cool passing through the dozen or so bascule bridges spanning from the mainland to the barrier islands as we headed south.. “S/V Pura Vida Southbound to Cortez Bridge requesting an opening” my dad would call out on channel 9. After some back and forth with the bridge tender the bridge would give a blow of the horn and the leaves of the bridge would raise vertically. We would always thank the tender after passing through.



The color of the water changed from one shade of blue to another with each passing mile. We spotted more dolphins coming to the surface than I can remember. It got to the point where we didn’t even call them out to each other, they were everywhere. Each evening we would find a protected anchorage and settle in. Before the sun set for the night we would drop the dinghy and I would head off for an hour or so of fishing. Anglers around here have it good. The fish are plentiful and the spots to cast a line are endless. Before dark I would cruise back to the mother ship for an early dinner and we would hit the hay pretty early. I’ve never slept better than I did this week tucked up in the V-berth cabin.


I have always seen my Dad as the most capable of men. It still made me a little nervous when he told
Captain Greg
me him and Ruth would be making this trip. However, over this past week his skills as a captain have surpassed the expectations I had even for him. I have now seen firsthand that when traveling through waters you have not been before preparation and experience is a must. My Dad has plenty of experience and is always as prepared as he can possibly be. He knows every inch of his vessel and has her in top notch condition. We should all rest easy knowing S/V Pura Vida and his first mate Ruth are in the best of hands with Captain Greg Lynd at the helm.



1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you made the trip, Bryce! So special and I know your dad enjoyed every minute of your time together.

    ReplyDelete