Monday, October 5, 2015

So what's the allure... Why sailing?

Sabine Lake Red
Many of us throughout life are drawn to various hobbies and toys. I'm no different. I've had my hobbies and toys that have enslaved me. I've always been fond of the water. I've had many power/fishing boats. I've also owned campers, motorcycles, cabin getaways and have had hunting leases. So what is it about sailing that has captured my interest? What is so appealing about moving through the water, without the excitement of speed?  

My friend Butch once told me that many of us have a dream. A dream of sailing off into the blue yonder, going to exotic places, adventuring and exploring.  The feeling of being free with no boundaries; except for those we put on ourselves.  


I think of sailors like Ernest Shackleton, who was fearless and youngsters like Laura Dekker, who defied authority to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world. And so many other sailors who have ventured with no fear, including Port Arthur Yacht Club’s own Terrell Adkisson, who circumnavigated, on his 30 foot Alberg, Altair, in the mid-1970’s.  

I keep track of several sailing blogs as you can see listed on my site.  I’m not fearless but I love venturing into the blue unknown.  My best vacations have been those with no agenda other than a direction, preferably south.


With sailing I get the benefits of many hobbies.  As you can see in the picture we still catch fish.  I almost never sail without dragging a couple of lines loaded with rattletraps, as fishing is something I’ll never give up.  

Obviously, staying on the boat as much as we do provides pleasure similar to camping.  The boat also serves as my “getaway,” with the option of choosing a variety of backyards.  I can explore as far as I want, only limited by time.  I don’t have the speed of the motorcycle or power boat, but the openness and exposure to nature is there.  As for hunting.  I’m just not mad at animals anymore and have no desire to kill, though I have no mercy toward fish; at least edible fish.


I believe sailing might be my all-time favorite pastime.  The ultimate adventure, great friendships, freedom and of course "the dream,” whether achieved or not, will be part of my life until…..  we’ll see.  Untie the lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment